Am I a Lexus guy?

zh2oson

Apr 25, 2024
Pasadena, CA
Hello GX Forum Peeps!

I'm a new member here.

I've been zeroing in on a Defender 110 but damn if the GX550 Overtrail doesn't hit in all the right places! My target date for a new car is mid-September, so I have some time to make my decision.

Truthfully, I would never have considered a Lexus (or a Toyota) in the past. Both the Land Cruiser and the GX550 are great looking rides.

Looking forward to participating here.

I’ve always had a soft spot for land rovers. The new GX is the Land Rover I always dreamed of. Doesn’t hurt that it’s a Toyota and going to last forever. Enjoy!

I posted in the Land Cruiser thread that I must be the target demographic for all these new trucks because everything on the market looks good to me these days!

Welcome to the forum! I'm a Defender 110 owner and absolutely love the vehicle, but it's now at the dealer for the second time in four months for some electrical gremlin that pops up randomly. It would be okay if it were just a check engine light or recall issue, but this glitch makes our Defender immobile until I have it towed to the dealership or it goes away after sitting for a while. I wanted so badly to advocate for the Defender since we like it so much, but it is what it is.

Welcome to the forum! I'm a Defender 110 owner and absolutely love the vehicle, but it's now at the dealer for the second time in four months for some electrical gremlin that pops up randomly. It would be okay if it were just a check engine light or recall issue, but this glitch makes our Defender immobile until I have it towed to the dealership or it goes away after sitting for a while. I wanted so badly to advocate for the Defender since we like it so much, but it is what it is.
Reliability seems like the biggest knock against the Defender. I'm a lease-only person, so I've been hoping that having a new vehicle would eliminate these reliability concerns...but it's good to have this point of reference.

Hello GX Forum Peeps!

I'm a new member here.

I've been zeroing in on a Defender 110 but damn if the GX550 Overtrail doesn't hit in all the right places! My target date for a new car is mid-September, so I have some time to make my decision.

Truthfully, I would never have considered a Lexus (or a Toyota) in the past. Both the Land Cruiser and the GX550 are great looking rides.

Looking forward to participating here.
Welcome to the site if your into long lasting reliability there is no other than Toyota Lexus

Reliability seems like the biggest knock against the Defender. I'm a lease-only person, so I've been hoping that having a new vehicle would eliminate these reliability concerns...but it's good to have this point of reference.
We ordered our new 2023 Defender and have now owned it for a little over a year. I wouldn't own one out of warranty either, so that's why we chose to purchase a new one in hopes of avoiding any high mileage issues. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case even if you buy it new. The dealership has been great, and it is all under warranty, but they have had the vehicle for two weeks now, and we are still waiting to see if they can find out what the fix is.

We ordered our new 2023 Defender and have now owned it for a little over a year. I wouldn't own one out of warranty either, so that's why we chose to purchase a new one in hopes of avoiding any high mileage issues. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case even if you buy it new. The dealership has been great, and it is all under warranty, but they have had the vehicle for two weeks now, and we are still waiting to see if they can find out what the fix is.
Hope it works out quickly

Ugh... I have an older LR model and it's been wonderful. But the technology is not Privi and it's a simpler model in many ways. I think if the Defender stops when there's a tech issue, clearly that's a problem. Unless it's unsafe to drive, the car should continue to work, even if there's a problem with a sensor.

Land Rover finally tracked my issue to one of the twelve CAN BUS modules. It looks like the Power Brake Control Module is faulty. That module is currently on backorder with no ETA. So now I wait and hope that's all it is when it comes in. đź« 

I was looking at the Defender but bought the 550 overtrail+ instead— reliability was the major issue but I really love the Lexus having driven it the past 4 days!

I'm wondering if I'll be able to swing a deal on a Defender in September as the 2025 models are on the horizon.

Also, I'm not keen to pay above MSRP for the GX.

Hopefully the flow of vehicles in SoCal opens up in a few months.

GX550 Poll

• 1. tOny enD

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 2. MJM

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 3. SsgIncognito

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. bfloyd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5. Let’s Gooo!

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 6. Widdlewadder510