GX550 engine, specifically the V35A-FTS

R!ck

Feb 9, 2024
Wisconsin
So, have any of you Lexus lovers (including me) been following the issues Toyota is having with their 3.4 twin turbo engine throwing front main bearings in the Tundra? Same engine (V35A-FTS) Lexus is using in the LX600 and unfortunately in the GX550. Makes me somewhat concerned, concerned enough to hold off on putting my name on a waiting list. Check it out, a couple of good sites to look at are (Tinkerer’s Adventure) and (The Car Guy Online) on YouTube, see below. If you ask me it is somewhat concerning. Does anyone have any thoughts on this or better yet any news that would clear the Lexus from this issue? But I did see an article from a Toyota tech that said their shop has received to date 3 Lexus LX600’s with blown engines. I wanted a LX550 soooo bad but I think I’ll have too wait but how long? Maybe 2025? Hopefully no longer. Thoughts please.

So, have any of you Lexus lovers (including me) been following the issues Toyota is having with their 3.4 twin turbo engine throwing front main bearings in the Tundra? Same engine (V35A-FTS) Lexus is using in the LX600 and unfortunately in the GX550. Makes me somewhat concerned, concerned enough to hold off on putting my name on a waiting list. Check it out, a couple of good sites to look at are (Tinkerer’s Adventure) and (The Car Guy Online) on YouTube, see below. If you ask me it is somewhat concerning. Does anyone have any thoughts on this or better yet any news that would clear the Lexus from this issue? But I did see an article from a Toyota tech that said their shop has received to date 3 Lexus LX600’s with blown engines. I wanted a LX550 soooo bad but I think I’ll have too wait but how long? Maybe 2025? Hopefully no longer. Thoughts please.

IMO if it found in the GX it will be minor because their aware of the issue in the tundra and the engines been out since 2018 so given that it’s a limited number I don’t wish anyone to have an issue hopefully it’s solved for all

IMO if it found in the GX it will be minor because their aware of the issue in the tundra and the engines been out since 2018 so given that it’s a limited number I don’t wish anyone to have an issue hopefully it’s solved for all
Still concerned, the 2018 engines are now racking up some mileage so the issues are now popping up, also there have been incidents involving 2023 and 2024 vehicles with as little as 5000 miles. The videos of the internals of the engine I’ve seen are anything bit minor, major rebuild replacing main bearings. With only 5000 miles Toyota should be replacing these engines with new crate engines not rebuilding. I’ll have to give this some time to see how it turns out before I invest $80,000 on a vehicle. I sure hope your right and we’ve seen the last of front main bearings going out. Fingers crossed.

Still concerned, the 2018 engines are now racking up some mileage so the issues are now popping up, also there have been incidents involving 2023 and 2024 vehicles with as little as 5000 miles. The videos of the internals of the engine I’ve seen are anything bit minor, major rebuild replacing main bearings. With only 5000 miles Toyota should be replacing these engines with new crate engines not rebuilding. I’ll have to give this some time to see how it turns out before I invest $80,000 on a vehicle. I sure hope your right and we’ve seen the last of front main bearings going out. Fingers crossed.
You’ll probably will never see a crate engine cheaper to identify the problem and replace the part

You’ll probably will never see a crate engine cheaper to identify the problem and replace the part
You mean replace the engine. Once it has ran, as in factory testing, the damage could be done. The only way to know is if engine is pulled and main bearing observed for debris damage.

You mean replace the engine. Once it has ran, as in factory testing, the damage could be done. The only way to know is if engine is pulled and main bearing observed for debris damage.
It’s quite simple once they identify the part and it seams to be in the engine they will inspect the damage it’s no cost effective to replace- 50 -1000 hole engines don’t have that kind of capacity to build that kind of volume they can make abundant small parts but if the engines is totaled makes sense to replace the hole engine but they need to keep that low it might be easier to buy back the vehicle that’s up to them

GX550 Poll

• 1. tOny enD

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 2. MJM

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 3. SsgIncognito

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. bfloyd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5. Let’s Gooo!

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 6. Widdlewadder510