GX hood shakes

Definitely noticed the movement in a short test drive at highway speeds.

I think it’s more an optical issue than anything though.

For those that already have the truck and the hood shaking issue, have you tried to adjust the hood cushions/stoppers? It seems to be a common issue with newer cars especially those with Aluminum hoods. There are a few YouTube videos talking about this. I'm not sure if it applies to the 550 though.

It must be an in-person thing because I couldn't tell anything from that video. On past vehicles I've had there is usually some rubber hood stops that can be screwed in or out to adjust the level of tension when the hood is closed. I wonder if the GX has those adjustable hood bumpers or if something similar would help resolve this issue.

For those that already have the truck and the hood shaking issue, have you tried to adjust the hood cushions/stoppers? It seems to be a common issue with newer cars especially those with Aluminum hoods. There are a few YouTube videos talking about this. I'm not sure if it applies to the 550 though.
We share the same brain! 🧠

Appears it may have rubber stops that are adjustable - I grabbed a screenshot from a recent video.
IMG_1096.jpeg

I noticed the vibration (previously posted) the first time I drove my Premium Plus at highway speed. Asked my salesman if there was a solution there currently is not. To be honest after 2+ weeks I don’t notice it at all and love the improved view of the highway… most likely the lighter materials and design is my conclusion.

I hope that this is just a hood stopper tuning. I had the same problem with my Tesla and I adjusted the stoppers and the problem was fixed.

It seems like it more flex in the middle of the panel caused by wind buffeting to me.

Not sure what the solution would be aside from stiffening the hood.

my Rubicon had pretty horrible hood shake on windy days. So bad there were times I thought the cheap plastic clips that secure the hood would break off.

I can't imagine the GX will be this bad.

Attachments

• Call of Duty MW3 Wrangler.jpg
    Call of Duty MW3 Wrangler.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 50
my Rubicon had pretty horrible hood shake on windy days. So bad there were times I thought the cheap plastic clips that secure the hood would break off.

I can't imagine the GX will be this bad.
As I noted on an earlier post, other than some vibration the first time I drove on a freeway I have not noticed the vibration since. I’ll live with the subtle vibration and take the great drivers view of the highway!

Still waiting on my OT but have a 2014 4Runner Trail. Hood has fluttered at 70mph+ for all 10 years of ownership. Intensity appears to be affected by wind direction in addition to speed. Headwinds are the worse. Truthfully, it has become a nonissue and I don't even notice it anymore.

In certain muscle car circles, the Shaker Hood is a very desired feature. It screams power. Has been a feature on Mustangs dating back to the 1960's. I have a Shaker Hood on my 2007 Mustang. So I am excited that the twin turbo GX will be my other hot rod with a shaker hood. :ROFLMAO:

180_8036.JPG
IMG_2082.JPG

I've never experienced any hood shake in our 2004 Sport 4Runner or 2010 Limited.
my 2017 does it. my 4th gen v8 never did. either way, it's not a big deal in my opinion. i've never noticed it after the first "hmm, that's interesting" experience. 7 years later it still does it, but i really don't care.

Just got done with a road trip with about 800 highway miles and while I could see the hood shake it was not really felt. I’m just hoping the engine doesn’t get recalled 😅😅
IMG_9594.jpeg

GX550 Poll

• 1. tOny enD

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 2. MJM

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 3. SsgIncognito

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. bfloyd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5. Let’s Gooo!

Votes: 1 4.3%