GX550 Theft

The Land Cruiser forum posts report quite a problem up in Canada w/ auto crime rings targeting LC 24-26 models. Those pros are going into headlight harness to acquire Canbus access. Some posts are that MY27 may have gotten a security improvement. Not really sure what that entails. Sounds like if you’re concerned to go to a layered system of security. Parking in garage, a Club on the steering wheel, add a security system, maybe a battery cutoff. If they really want it they’re going to take it.
 
I read about this on the LC forum. Nothing is 100% effective, but any thoughts on this device?

I asked Gemini AI about the reputation of that product. Here's what it said:


The 41.22 Inc. Drop-In Kill Switch generally has a positive reputation among everyday DIYers for its clever concept and simple installation, though it receives mixed to negative feedback from some premium auto-enthusiasts and consumer bureaus regarding customer support and long-term part quality. [1, 2, 3, 4, 5]

The Good: Ease of Use & Practicality​



  • Extremely Simple Installation: Most users on automotive forums like the Jeep Gladiator Forum and Reddit report that installation is incredibly straightforward. It replaces your vehicle's factory starter relay and takes roughly 45 minutes to wire and clean up. [6, 7, 8]
  • Effective Layers of Defense: Owners appreciate that it blocks modern relay and key-fob cloning attacks. Even if a thief has a cloned key, the car will not crank. [1]
  • Built-in Failsafe: Users value that if the wiring, toggle switch, or remote module ever fails, they can simply pop open the hood and put the original factory relay back in to drive normal again. [7]
  • Convenient Remote/Wired Options: The product line includes both physically wired toggle switches and modern wireless key-fob options so you don't have to drill into your dashboard. [9, 10]

The Bad: Quality and Customer Service​



  • Customer Support Issues: Multiple users on truck forums note that getting in touch with the company for returns can be tough. Some buyers have reported that the parent company behind 41.22 Inc. holds poor ratings with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) due to communication delays.
  • Fitment Issues: On certain vehicle models, buyers have reported that the custom relay sent by the company did not fit their specific truck's fuse box configuration, despite inputting the correct vehicle details at checkout.
  • Perceived Quality: Some automotive owners on Tacoma World noted that the build quality felt cheap for the price point ($108 to $179), opting instead for more robust, hardwired code-relays (like steering wheel button combination systems). [2, 3, 11]

Community Verdict​


If you want a quick, non-permanent, affordable ($100+) deterrent to slow down opportunistic thieves, the community views it as a very solid buy. However, if you drive a highly targeted vehicle and want military-grade security, enthusiasts often recommend looking into premium alternatives like a Ravelco system. [1, 6, 12, 13, 14]
If you would like, tell me:


  • What year, make, and model is your vehicle?
  • Do you prefer a physical hidden switch or a wireless remote fob?
I can help you check if other owners of your specific vehicle have run into fuse box fitment issues with this kit!

[1] https://41twentytwo.com
[2] https://www.gm-trucks.com
[3] https://www.tacomaworld.com
[4] https://www.youtube.com
[5] https://www.youtube.com
[6] https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com
[7] https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com
[8] https://www.reddit.com
[9] https://www.youtube.com
[10] https://www.youtube.com
[11] https://41twentytwo.com
[12] https://www.facebook.com
[13] https://www.tundras.com
[14] https://www.instagram.com
 
I read about this on the LC forum. Nothing is 100% effective, but any thoughts on this device?

That's pretty slick. You can also just pop out the relay, but who wants to open the hood and get to the relay whenever they want to park with protection? $108 is worth the convenience in my opinion. One problem is that you need to mount the button somewhere convenient to the driver but hidden - not so easy because the thieves will look under the dash for a kill switch with a flashlight and probably find the button pretty quick once the truck doesn't start. If you mount the switch in an incredibly hidden location then you'll never use it because it will be inconvenient. It will also suck when this device stops working....but you can always just keep the stock relay in the glove box (which tells the thieves your secret).
 
I tried turning the key off by holding down the lock while hitting unlock twice and it worked. Is this going to be safe enough while traveling and staying in hotels?
 
If you hold down the lock button while depressing the unlock button twice it stops the RFID transmission of the key fob, essentially putting it to sleep until you re-activate it by touching a button on the fob again. This will stop RFID Hacking and also allows you to lock fob in truck with app from phone
on page 125 of the 2025 Manual I noticed it has this Fob procedure for battery saving and says it shuts down radio waves. Is this the same and for preventing a hack? Also wondering if there are any actual scientific field tests that show an Altoid tin or Faraday work?
1786486280825.webp
 
Put your key in a tin box or Faraday bag and walk up to your GX and see if recognizes that the key is near and unlocks.

I keep the keys for my cars in a Faraday bag here on my desk and the garage is right on the other side of my office wall.

I just tested my Faraday bag with the GX key fob in it again and it works fine. The truck has no idea I'm standing there pulling on the door handle with the key in the bag in my hand.

P.S. my spare GX key is hanging in a closet with other spare keys and I did the button trick to shut it down - mainly to save the battery but also to turn off the radio.

faraday1.webp

faraday2.webp
 
Last edited:
Yes, that's what I read. Thanks for the response. I'm going to look in to a kill switch
I like the remote-button starter kill switch. I don't like the idea of a battery kill switch because it starves all the electronics, which I just don't think is a good idea. I just changed my battery yesterday and I was surprised that I didn't lose all my radio presets, but I still don't like the idea of shutting off all power via a battery kill switch.

Maybe mount the starter kill switch under the seat where you can reach it from the driver's seat and know where it is from memory, but it's impossible to see.
 
Put your key in a tin box or Faraday bag and walk up to your GX and see if recognizes that the key is near and unlocks.

I keep the keys for my cars in a Faraday bag here on my desk and the garage is right on the other side of my office wall.

I just tested my Faraday bag with the GX key fob in it again and it works fine. The truck has no idea I'm standing there pulling on the door handle with the key in the bag in my hand.

P.S. my spare GX key is hanging in a closet with other spare keys and I did the button trick to shut it down - mainly to save the battery but also to turn off the radio.

View attachment 23505

View attachment 23506
yep, I just put my fob in an Altoid tin sealed tight, with car already locked, and walked up and opened the doors. Tells me a single tin doesn't work to block signals. I also tried the fob process (discussed above from Manual) where hold down lock and click unlock twice, see the 4 blinks on fob, and standing next to car it did not unlock while grabbing handle. So that seems a solid option to reduce theft while costing nothing.
 
Good video from Australia on this. Crime in Victoria (my state) is out of control, vehicles being stolen all the time.
I assume the Lexus is exactly the same as the Prado 250 (Landcruiser 250 in the States).

It has been a problem in Canada ever since the pandemic. It is an organized crime even includes people work in the government. That is been, the trending is start to going down now after cracking down by the law enforcement. That is the been said, the most effective way to prevent car theft is physical barrier. Parking the car in the garage or block by another vehicle. If the bad guys want to get it, they will, but at least we can make it harder for them.
 
who wants to open the hood and get to the relay whenever they want to park with protection?
It may not be too bad for overnight stays at hotels/motels when you are traveling. For anything short term it would be a PITA.
 
Do you really want to enter a pin every time you want to start your truck? I would start to despise this on day 2.
 
Do you really want to enter a pin every time you want to start your truck? I would start to despise this on day 2.
Not really, but if it could be deactivated when I'm home and only activated when I'm leaving it in a hotel parking lot that might work for me.
 
I plan to install an easily accessible hidden lockout switch for everyday use and will also pull a relay when parked overnight in sketchy areas.
 
Not really, but if it could be deactivated when I'm home and only activated when I'm leaving it in a hotel parking lot that might work for me.
Lexus Canada provides a secondary immobilizer that I believe is a fob. If the fob is not with your key, your GX won’t start. Available from Canadian Lexus dealers. Last time I checked, USA Lexus dealers did not offer this.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1055.webp
    IMG_1055.webp
    52.4 KB · Views: 39

Users who are viewing this thread

GX550 Poll

  • Yes, I can pick up in Los Angeles (Burbank area)

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Yes, but I need it shipped.

    Votes: 10 58.8%
Back
Top Bottom