Break-in

May 14, 2024
SE USA
What’s the recommended break-in procedure? Can anyone send a snapshot of the user manual if it mentions it? Asking because I have one coming in, but the dealer is 300 interstate miles away. It would be super annoying to drive 45 the whole way home with it lol

Hopefully the above link will take you to an earlier post on this forum. What I found was:
Breaking in your new Lexus. To extend the life of the vehicle, observing the following precautions is recommended: For the first 200 miles (300 km) Avoid sudden stops. For the first 500 miles (800 km) Do not tow a trailer. For the first 600 miles (1000 km): Do not drive at extremely high speeds. Avoid sudden acceleration. Do not drive continuously in low gears. Do not drive at a constant speed for extended periods.
I guess the question is what is the definition of extremely high speeds I suspect its above the speed limit. I think it would be best to keep it out of sport mode.

The good thing about sport mode is it will actually let the car explore more of the rev range and really get rings and seals properly set. More engine braking as well which is imo a good thing for an engine break in.

What’s the recommended break-in procedure? Can anyone send a snapshot of the user manual if it mentions it? Asking because I have one coming in, but the dealer is 300 interstate miles away. It would be super annoying to drive 45 the whole way home with it lol
On you tube there is the car care nut he was a Toyota/Lexus tech he has a huge amount of videos on Toyota/Lexus all topics

I thought the car care nut did and excellent job with the detailed review of the GX550. If you find something he has on the break-in process please share. Enjoy that new GX.

I found this interesting. It is, after all, part of the “break in” process.

Last edited:
Just follow the manual and do what it says please. If it says change the oil at 10k, then do it. Unless you’re tracking the car or towing everyday (which I highly doubt for a GX) whatever the manual says is what you should do

Just follow the manual and do what it says please. If it says change the oil at 10k, then do it. Unless you’re tracking the car or towing everyday (which I highly doubt for a GX) whatever the manual says is what you should do
But changing the oil early as the above video suggests wouldn’t hurt anything. That video is pretty eye opening

Just follow the manual and do what it says please. If it says change the oil at 10k, then do it. ...whatever the manual says is what you should do
Why? Could you share some tidbit of information/experience that argues against doing an early change? Is an early change going to shorten the life of the engine? Why do you care if someone wants to do an early oil change - they paid for their vehicle, and can do with it as they please, just as you can do whatever you please with the vehicle you paid for.

Why? Could you share some tidbit of information/experience that argues against doing an early change? Is an early change going to shorten the life of the engine? Why do you care if someone wants to do an early oil change - they paid for their vehicle, and can do with it as they please, just as you can do whatever you please with the vehicle you paid for.
It is only an a opinion nothing more

Yeah because you’re going against what the engineers put in the manual. It’s backed by science. Chemical engineers and automotive engineers came to these interval conclusions. It’s just my opinion.

I obviously don’t do this in my track Camaro, that vehicle gets fluid flushed after every track day. But it’s outside the scope of what the vehicle was made for.

I watched a Toyota mechanic's video and he advised: avoid high RPM and speeds in excess of 60-65, drive at varying speeds, and no hard use of brakes at least for 500 miles. Change oil at 1,000. He called it cheap insurance if you're planning on keeping it more than 5 years.

You've got a nice little drive home. I'd mostly stay off the interstate, if possible and that should take care of things.

I'm lucky my dealer is 3 miles away. I'm planning a short hop to the national forest and ride the river roads, all dirt. It'll be easy to try out the OT there.

I'll throw in my 2 cents... and please take this with a grain of salt as I read it on another forum. I believe this was discussed on the porsche forums.

A lot of manufacturers now are sort of gaming the system. Meaning manufactures want to show that their vehicles have the lowest maintenance service intervals ... i.e. less service requirements in the first years of ownership. If a vehicle is required to be in service more, they're rated poorly. But this isn't necessarily the best for the vehicle.

Again, not sure the truth to this. But I do know that when we used to do autocross racing, we'd change the oil after every race. There is no harm in fresh clean oil in your motor. So, I would agree with the earlier post where the ex-toyota engineer said to do it at 1000 miles at first. As that's when the most break in period happens and there is more debris in the oil causing more wear and tear.

Yeah because you’re going against what the engineers put in the manual. It’s backed by science. Chemical engineers and automotive engineers came to these interval conclusions.

My point is based on the fact that many, many times, engineers are overruled by bean counters. Bean counters need their employer to stay in business over the long haul. Since the majority of folks trade every 4-6 years, they aren't aware of what happens later on down the road when the vehicle they bought new, starts having issues. The newer turbocharged engines are ALL a bit more finicky about oil quality and change intervals - there is quite a bit of evidence out there showing that. If some folks want to err on the side of caution, and spend a little extra on more frequent maintenance, as opposed to following what the bean counters put into the Owner's manuals, then so be it.

Bean counters? You think Toyota who’s been making turbo engines since 80s are writing manuals to please bean counters? You can change your oil whenever you want. I don’t think it’s necessary to do it. Just follow the manual lol.

I don’t think it’s the time and place for me to say this, but I’m just trying to say that there’s no fear in following the manual. It sounds stupid to think you shouldn’t. Based on what? Your hunch? I’ll side on the practical science backed party.

I also don’t feel like I need to show my provenance or say I’m an engine oil connoisseur: I’ve raced and towed vehicles for the better latter of 10 years. I’ve sent my fair share of oil to black stone labs. I’ve switched out oil weights and played with viscosities. Bottom line None of that crap matters. If it’s a street vehicle just follow the damn manual lol. But I digress…

Uh oh, you did it now! 🤣
What does that engineer know anyway, not going along with the Owner's Manual. The nerve! 🤣
To be fair he never backed up his claims with any data, he just says it’s going to double the live span of the vehicle. I’m all about finding someone else that validates your feelings, but if there is no science or data behind those claims, it’s just fear mongering.

To be fair he never backed up his claims with any data, he just says it’s going to double the live span of the vehicle. I’m all about finding someone else that validates your feelings, but if there is no science or data behind those claims, it’s just fear mongering.
So the former Toyota engineer lacks credibility on break in, and his suggestion to do more frequent oil changes is fear mongering. Got it.

GX550 Poll

• 1. tOny enD

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 2. MJM

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 3. SsgIncognito

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. bfloyd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5. Let’s Gooo!

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 6. Widdlewadder510