GX550 30 Day Stop Sale?

I follow this forum hopefully to find out the reason or reasons for the hold-up. I'm one of the lucky ones who has a GX however if there's a major issue I want to insure I get it resolved quickly. So I appreciate everyones input and hope the release happens soon. It will be worth the wait especially if you are trading in the past model GX. I have a smile everytime I drive 550 and the transmission is so responsive compared to the old model... it's a joy to drive.

Last edited:
Hi all, I just got an update from the Sales Manager at Lexus, below. We have an OT+ that shipped out of Japan on May 29 and is expected at the port June 14th. About 11 days ago, I was informed ours was NOT part of the QC hold. Now it is apparently...

"I actually had the opportunity to speak with one of the production reps directly. The QC hold is proactive, as per Lexus standards. They are always looking to address an issue long before it becomes an issue.

The leaky roof has to do with the runoff tube that drains out water from the roof. It needs to be adjusted on some of the cars built....however, out of an abundance of caution, they are checking each one before they reach the dealership property. I actually appreciate knowing that Lexus is doing that. It is adding a bit of time on the landing of each car, but in the end, it will mean a car that will not have a problem from the get-go.

To answer the second part of your question....yes, yours is on the same QC inspection. It was flipped over to that designation recently. Not a big issue, but one that they wanted to address before each car is delivered.

Your GX is due to arrive at port on the 14th. I will assuredly let you know as soon as it passes through that inspection, and is in transit to the railhead.

Thank you in advance for your understanding and your patience"

Hi all, I just got an update from the Sales Manager at Lexus, below. We have an OT+ that shipped out of Japan on May 29 and is expected at the port June 14th. About 11 days ago, I was informed ours was NOT part of the QC hold. Now it is apparently...

"I actually had the opportunity to speak with one of the production reps directly. The QC hold is proactive, as per Lexus standards. They are always looking to address an issue long before it becomes an issue.

The leaky roof has to do with the runoff tube that drains out water from the roof. It needs to be adjusted on some of the cars built....however, out of an abundance of caution, they are checking each one before they reach the dealership property. I actually appreciate knowing that Lexus is doing that. It is adding a bit of time on the landing of each car, but in the end, it will mean a car that will not have a problem from the get-go.

To answer the second part of your question....yes, yours is on the same QC inspection. It was flipped over to that designation recently. Not a big issue, but one that they wanted to address before each car is delivered.

Your GX is due to arrive at port on the 14th. I will assuredly let you know as soon as it passes through that inspection, and is in transit to the railhead.

Do you know what the build date was?

Happy for you for me seeing is believing I look out into my driveway no GX

Happy for you for me seeing is believing I look out into my driveway no GX
These engine issues have taken a little of the luster away. The bright side is it has made me a little more patient and appreciative of the last few months with the V8. Looking forward to the new, but the outgoing car served me well for the last 8 years.

If they’re putting all incoming GX’s on a QC hold for sunroof drainage issues, it begs the question, why have the ones that slipped through on the first allocation not had any leaking sunroofs (based on comments from GX owners that have them on this forum)

If it is the paint issue from the travel wrapping (which is a known issue from 550 owners photos on this forum), why are they continuing to manufacture and wrap in the same materials after its a known issue only to ship it to be fixed by QC later?

The comments i’ve seen from people who are having their 550’s built after the QC holds started should circumvent on the QC hold problems during manufacturing for known issues right? But they’re not, and they’re getting stuck with qc holds too…

If they extend the hold past 56 days, I might just have to get a diff vehicle, as the amount i’m paying for the rental i’m in is a lot more expensive than a GX, lol

Last edited:
If any of you are like me and searching the web for any reasoning to the GX hold you’ve probably already also found the same “30 Day stop sale” on the Land Cruiser Forum. If you haven’t found it…. Well here you go: Quality Control Delays!!

20 more pages of very similar folks going through the exact same thing as us waiting on the GX. Some made it through, then a 30 day hold, which is now 56 days.

The thing about all this that makes me sleep a lot better at night is that the LC’s that are being held up like our GX’s have a completely different engine, so for me at least, I’ll put that engine issue idea to bed based on that. (But will still do the <1000 mile oil chain as I do with all new vehicles).

If you read through their 20 pages of posts they’ve all pretty much settled on the sunroof drain which also happens to align with a good bit of what we’ve heard on this forum. My guess is they’ll fix the ones that got through if/when there is an issue as it may not be a guaranteed issue.

Factor in the parts for the fix and potential supply chain issues and I’m sure the priority is the factory vs the ones at port . Then add that techs are coming from Lexus and not the dealerships to make the repairs creating one heck of an impressive bottleneck in manpower and one can see how 30 is now 56…

I could be completely off in my thinking but either way, until we get our OT I’m happy knowing I’m waiting on what is hopefully a sunroof drain correction and not any engine or suspension issue.

All that being said, we sold my wife’s Jeep GC Summit on May 11th, and driving our lifted JKU with loud ass tires in this Texas heat is getting a bit old. But boy will that OT ride like a dream and be cushy as can be when we finally get it home.

Hang in there my friends and don’t lose sight of why we all chose this vehicle to begin with.

If any of you are like me and searching the web for any reasoning to the GX hold you’ve probably already also found the same “30 Day stop sale” on the Land Cruiser Forum. If you haven’t found it…. Well here you go: Quality Control Delays!!

20 more pages of very similar folks going through the exact same thing as us waiting on the GX. Some made it through, then a 30 day hold, which is now 56 days.

The thing about all this that makes me sleep a lot better at night is that the LC’s that are being held up like our GX’s have a completely different engine, so for me at least, I’ll put that engine issue idea to bed based on that. (But will still do the <1000 mile oil chain as I do with all new vehicles).

If you read through their 20 pages of posts they’ve all pretty much settled on the sunroof drain which also happens to align with a good bit of what we’ve heard on this forum. My guess is they’ll fix the ones that got through if/when there is an issue as it may not be a guaranteed issue.

Factor in the parts for the fix and potential supply chain issues and I’m sure the priority is the factory vs the ones at port . Then add that techs are coming from Lexus and not the dealerships to make the repairs creating one heck of an impressive bottleneck in manpower and one can see how 30 is now 56…

I could be completely off in my thinking but either way, until we get our OT I’m happy knowing I’m waiting on what is hopefully a sunroof drain correction and not any engine or suspension issue.

All that being said, we sold my wife’s Jeep GC Summit on May 11th, and driving our lifted JKU with loud ass tires in this Texas heat is getting a bit old. But boy will that OT ride like a dream and be cushy as can be when we finally get it home.

Hang in there my friends and don’t lose sight of why we all chose this vehicle to begin with.
It’s not totally about 30-56 days it’s about silence given the fact promised weekly updates none given other than some on this website provided some insight possible speculation and speculation we are adults you can tell us

It’s not totally about 30-56 days it’s about silence given the fact promised weekly updates none given other than some on this website provided some insight possible speculation and speculation we are adults you can tell us

Agreed. Particularly because if its just the sunroof it is not something I'm worried about long-term. Just telling us this is the issue, here's what we're doing to fix it and why it is taking additional days, and we apologize for the inconvenience but the issue should be resolved soon - would go a long way.

Agreed. Particularly because if its just the sunroof it is not something I'm worried about long-term. Just telling us this is the issue, here's what we're doing to fix it and why it is taking additional days, and we apologize for the inconvenience but the issue should be resolved soon - would go a long way.
100%

My question is is anybody getting deliveries right now?

My sales manager made it sound like all incoming GXs are on the hold. Not just certain ones.

I haven't asked but I don't think many if any are coming in. My dealership was previously listing all the incoming GX's on their website (listed as pre-sold). There was about 10 or so on the GX inventory page at any given time. For the last two weeks or so they have 0 GXs posted on the website.

My question is is anybody getting deliveries right now?

My sales manager made it sound like all incoming GXs are on the hold. Not just certain ones.
Sounds right my salesman has training today hopefully find something tomorrow Lexus has to realize we made the choice because of their reputation and reliability we decided that their vehicles are what we want for our families to be safe understanding that they are trying their best but we are not children and shouldn’t be treated as such that we can’t be told what’s going on when they themselves said they would give weekly updates I wish the best for all

Just had my first oil change (approx 1200 miles) for cautionary reasons or old habit with a new vehicle. My service tech confirmed there is an issue with the sunroof drainage tube. He hasn’t received any notice for GX’s already on the road. The issue results in water on the floor board if the drain tube is plugged. So if you’ve been rained on (while your GX is sitting) or through a car wash and no leakage it appears we are ok. My salesman also told me the dealership hasn’t received a delivery in 3 weeks.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is normal or related to the hold, but since I have my VIN (waiting on delivery and stuck in 30 day hold) I plugged it into the Lexus app and it showed a Vehicle Stability Control fault. Anyone else seen this or have any insight?

Mine just arrived to port(mid Atlantic) and is now showing the same. No other telemetry such as tire pressure, odometer, etc. Im also on hold.
IMG_9302.jpeg

Don't think I've shared on this particular thread .. so, this attachment is of a text that came from my salesguy on June 1.

I supposed I understand waiting on boat-loads of GX's to arrive in the USA and run them down the PIO line and fix them all at the same time in port. Then ship 'em on out.

I want my OT delivered with certainty it's been fixed before the sale. Mine is due in Jacksonville on June 12 tomorrow.

Wanted to add I surfed to the Port Authority of Jacksonville (JAXPORT) web site and found the Southeastern Toyota site on Google Earth. Looked them up on the web too. Pretty damn impressive operation there, especially where the technicians worked. Glad the fix is happening there.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-11 at 1.48.04 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-11 at 1.48.04 PM.png
    176.7 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Don't think I've shared on this particular thread .. so, this attachment is of a text that came from my salesguy on June 1.

I supposed I understand waiting on boat-loads of GX's to arrive in the USA and run them down the PIO line and fix them all at the same time in port. Then ship 'em on out.

I want my OT delivered with certainty it's been fixed before the sale. Mine is due in Jacksonville on June 12 tomorrow.

Wanted to add I surfed to the Port Authority of Jacksonville (JAXPORT) web site and found the Southeastern Toyota site on Google Earth. Looked them up on the web too. Pretty damn impressive operation there, especially where the technicians worked. Glad the fix is happening there.

Mine is in Jacksonville too. Fixing them all at once is interesting and would possibly add up. A whole lot to send out to deliver at once when that process is done though.

GX550 Poll

• 1. tOny enD

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 2. MJM

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 3. SsgIncognito

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. bfloyd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5. Let’s Gooo!

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 6. Widdlewadder510